Ansari in judicial custody till Nov 9
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Spanish musician rape Cops want to conduct ID parade before victim leaves.
The Bandra Metropolitan Magistrate court on Wednesday sent 28-year-old Mohammed Badshah Mohammed Ismail Ansari alias Mohammed Anwar to judicial custody till November 9, as demanded by the police to conduct an identification parade. The normal practice is to seek police custody for interrogation.
Ansari is accused of breaking into a Spanish singer's rented flat in suburban Bandra, robbing, raping and sodomising her at knife-point.
"The victim wishes to return to her hometown. Identification parade is very essential and we need to do it before she leaves the country," Assistant Public Prosecutor B B Yele told the court.
Yele told the court that after identification parade, the police would seek his custody as he has not been aiding the investigations and refused to confess the crime.
Clad in a black burkha, Ansari was produced in court amid tight security. When he was asked by Magistrate S S Deshpande if he was aware of the crime he was arrested for, Ansari repeatedly said he is innocent and was wrongly picked up by the police. "Maine kuch nahi kiya (I have not done anything)," he told the court.
When the court further enquired if he had a lawyer, Ansari replied in the negative and said he would want one to defend him. He constantly looked around the court to see if any of his family members were present for the hearing. "Koi nahi aaya hai ghar se (no one has come from home)," he said when the court asked if he could identify any of his relatives inside the courtroom.
Ansari, who is a history-sheeter and has over 20 cases against him, was released from jail a few days before the incident. He was last arrested for breaking into actor Dino Morea's house.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet