Armani racks up early fashion wins at Oscars
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Giorgio Armani could claim some big wins at the Oscars on Sunday night: The designer dressed Jessica Chastain and Quvenzhane Wallis.
Chastain, in a glistening copper-tone strapless gown with mermaid hem, looked like an old-world glamorous movie star, especially with her oversized vintage Harry Winston diamond earrings and bright red lipstick. "I chose it because to me it was a throwback to old Hollywood,'' she said.
Meanwhile, she told E!: "It's a very `Happy birthday, Mr. President' dress.''
Naomi Watts was expected to wear a gunmetal beaded gown with a geometric cutout on the bodice, also by Armani. She and Chastain were both considered fashion "gets'' for the Academy Awards in Los Angeles.
Quvenzhane, with a silver headband in her hair and carrying her puppy purse, wore an Armani Junior navy-blue dress with black, navy and silver jewels scattered on the skirt and a big bow on the back. She apparently has another Armani dress, a pink one, ready for the afterparty. "I liked it because it was sparkly and puffy.''
Jennifer Lawrence was in a white strapless gown by Dior Haute Couture with sophisticated pulled-back hair, diamond-ball earrings and a delicate long necklace that hung down in the back.
Amy Adams wore a dove-gray Oscar de la Renta gown with a sweetheart neckline and tiers of frayed chiffon and tulle on the ballskirt, and Zoe Saldana wore a strapless gray gown with floral appliques. Reese Witherspoon's modern gown by Louis Vuitton was mostly electric blue with a strip of black at the bustline.
Kerry Washington wore a Miu Miu gown with a chunky beaded bodice and orange-red skirt with a delicate bow at the waist.
Other expected designer moments to unfold at the Dolby Theatre include Barbra Streisand in a black, bias-cut, asymmetrical Donna Karan gown that the designer dubbed "City Lights.'' Renee Zellweger was expected to wear a Carolina Herrera gown.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM