Arms seized from CPM leader’s house
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
The police today arrested a CPM local committee member — Nabakumar Mondal — after a large number of illegal arms and ammunition were recovered from his residence at Harda village in Binpur area of West Midnapore.
Praveen Tripathi, SP, Jhargram said, "We have recovered five arms and three rounds of ammunition from the house of Mondal. There were four warrants pending against him. He has murder and attempt to murder charges against him."
Meanwhile, the CID, in a special drive, have arrested the illegal arms supply kingpin and eight security agency guards for alleged complicity in running illegal arms supply racket in the Raniganj-Durgapur belt . Last night, the CID had recovered 44 illegal arms and 30 rounds of ammunition from security offices in this belt.
In the Durgapur arms haul, Anuj Sharma, special IG, CID. said, "We have recovered arms and a huge number of fake licenses from the offices of Writers' Safe Guard Agency and TK Security Agency. Of the 44 arms seized, 29 are single-barrel and 15 double-barrel guns."
Sharma said the kingpin, Sheikh Abdul Mannan, a resident of Pandebswar in Burdwan, has been arrested. He further said the fake licenses were made in Kashmir, Nagaland, Manipur, Bihar and Kathmandu.
"We have sensitised the DM and SP of the district as the colliery belt in Burdwan has become a safe heaven for the dealers of illegal arms," added Sharma.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow