Arrested Shiv Sena MLA Suresh Jain getting 5-star treatment, alleges Anna Hazare
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Anna Hazare has alleged that Shiv Sena MLA Suresh Jain, who was arrested in connection with the Jalgaon Housing scam, was getting "five-star" treatment and demanded an inquiry against jail authorities.
Hazare wrote a letter to this effect to Additional Commissioner of Police Meera Borwankar, before leaving for Odisha tour on Wednesday, Anna's close aide advocate Shyam Asawa said here today.
Hazare said in the letter that Jain was denied bail by the High Court. After being arrested on March 12, 2012, Jain has been trying to spend maximum time in hospitals and not in prison.
Jain was brought to Arthur Road jail in Mumbai on November 3, but was immediately admitted to Saint George Hospital where he is getting five-star treatment. Some jail authorities are managing these comforts for Jain, Hazare alleged in the letter and demanded an inquiry against them.
Asawa said the Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan, of which he is a trustee, will seek legal action against the special treatment being provided to the accused.
Jain, who was a minister for housing during the Shiv Sena-BJP rule in the 1990s, had been arrested for allegedly favouring a builder and indulging in irregularities to the tune of Rs 29 crore.
Meanwhile, in a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Hazare said he had written to the then Chief Minister, concerned minister and officials in 2003 and 2004, seeking action against Jain over his financial irregularities.
"However, no action was taken. This shows that the government was backing Jain," Hazare alleged.
"It is now learnt that there is an attempt at the government level to have a "weak" government counsel in the Jain case, to ensure he gets bail," Hazare said.
If such an attempt is made, the masses will have to launch a "jan andolan" on the issue, he said.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations