As Congress boat rocks, Shankersinh Vaghela says he is ‘captain’
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Gohil says party high command will decide
The differences over the chief ministerial candidate of Congress spilled out in the open on Thursday with senior leader Shankersinh Vaghela declaring he is the "captain" of the party while leader of the Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil stating that the party high command would take the decision.
Addressing a poll rally on Wednesday, Vaghela said, "I am fighting the elections not to sit in Opposition benches... I am the contender for the top post...they are asking who is the captain? I am the captain."
Vaghela was referring to Chief Minister Narendra Modi's remarks that BJP had declared its chief ministerial candidate while in Congress, nobody knows who is their "captain".
Gohil, however, said on Thursday "it is an established tradition in Congress party that after the election, a view of elected legislators is taken and it is conveyed to the party's central leadership which decides as to who will be the chief minister".
He also said there were no differences between leaders in the opposition party and that they were all united while fighting elections.
Reacting to the development, Modi said today in one of his poll rallies that "every one is coming forward and declaring that they are captains of Congress party in Gujarat. There are six leaders and all of them are declaring that they are captains".
"Tomorrow, Sonia Gandhi is coming here... you should seek an answer from her as to who is the captain of Congress in Gujarat," Modi said addressing people in Keshod town in Junagadh district.
Gandhi will address poll rallies at Mandvi in Surat district and Keshod in Junagadh district on Friday.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow