Ashley Cole becomes 'highest paid defender' in world after signing £200,000 per week deal
Ashley Cole will become world's highest paid defender after agreeing to a 200,000 pound per week contract extension with the European champions Chelsea.
Chelsea is expected to announce the one-year contract extension ahead of Wednesday's Capital One Cup semi-final against Swansea, but the deal has been agreed, the Daily Mail reports.
Chelsea have agreed to a pay hike for the England defender because it would have cost them well in excess of 15 million pound to secure a replacement left back of similar quality in the summer, the paper added. Cole's representatives had held tentative talks with Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and Manchester United, but Chelsea eventually caved in to the left back's demands, the paper said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow