Assam woman delivers on roadside, doctor held
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
A doctor at the Government Rural Hospital at Palashbari, was arrested by cops on Sunday on charges of denying medical care and admission to a pregnant woman.
The woman later delivered the baby on the roadside (NH 31) just outside the hospital. But the newborn, a baby boy, died soon after birth. Officials have also suspended the duty nurse. The incident takes place in a state which has the highest infant mortality rate in the country.
According to reports, the Ayurvedic doctor, Gulam Mustafa Ahmed, under contract of the National Rural Health Mission, on Sunday, refused to admit the woman, Amila Khatun, who was suffering labour pain when she arrived at the hospital at around 5.30 am. He referred her to another hospital and denied providing her an ambulance.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet