Astrologer of top politicians, babus shot
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
An astrologer, whose clients included top politicians and bureaucrats of UP, was shot dead by gunmen dressed like policemen at his residence in Oonchgaon village in Jaunpur district on Thursday morning.
Ramesh Tiwari, 36, died on the spot while his brother Rajesh was seriously injured.
Tiwari, based in Gomti Nagar area of Lucknow and had an ashram in Surat in Gujarat too, was visiting the village for Diwali celebrations with the family. Two police gunners attached with Tiwari had gone on leave for Diwali. Varanasi zone IG DIG G L Meena and range DIG A Satish Ganesh were camping in Jaunpur.
Rajesh Tiwari was referred to SGPGI in Lucknow, where his condition is critical. Animal Husbandry Minister Parasnath Yadav and DGP A C Sharma were present at SGPGI when Rajesh was brought from Jaunpur in the afternoon.
DIG Satish Ganesh said the motive behind the killing is yet to be known, but they were looking at an old dispute related to the panchayat elections. Tiwari's father Rajan Tiwari had been elected pradhan in the last panchayat elections. He said the incident took place around 10 am when Tiwari was sitting in front of his house along with his father and about 20 others. Two youths, dressed in police uniform and riding a motorcycle, arrived. They first greeted Tiwari and then showered bullets at him. His brother Rajesh tried to intervene, but he too suffered bullet injuries. The assailants then drove away.
Tiwari, who got eight bullet wounds, was taken to a hospital in Sultanpur on the way to Lucknow, where he was declared dead, the DIG said.
Tiwari owned a flat in Nehru Enclave in Gomti Nagar area of Lucknow and was getting another house constructed. He had reportedly also purchased a single-screen cinema hall in Qaiserbagh area of Lucknow recently, said sources.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held