Avalanche in Siachen kills 6 Armymen, 1 missing
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Six Armymen were killed and one remains missing after an Army post in Siachen sector in Ladakh was buried under an avalanche early Sunday morning. Rescue operations had to be abandoned due to adverse weather conditions.
All the Army personnel killed belonged to the Assam Regiment.
Confirming the deaths, defence spokesman J S Brar said: "At 6.15 am, our posts at a height of over 17,000 feet came under an avalanche in sub-sector Hanif, in Turtuk area of Siachen. Immediately avalanche rescue teams along with avalanche rescue dogs were launched. Six jawans unfortunately lost their lives. Their remains have been recovered. One jawan is still missing."
An avalanche had hit a Pakistani army camp in the glacier area last year, killing over 100 troops.
Meanwhile, the Disaster Management Cell in Kashmir has issued an avalanche warning in the upper reaches of the Valley, including Banihal, Chowkibal, Tangdhar, Machil, Keran, Gurez, Sonamarg, Drass and higher reaches of Kargil and Gulmarg.
Amir Ali, the coordinator, Disaster Management Cell of Kashmir, said that people living in snow-bound areas above 2,500 metres had been advised not to venture on to steep avalanche-prone slopes. "People have been advised to keep cleaning the snow from the roofs of their houses to avoid any casualty due to roof collapse," he said.
The upper reaches of the Valley have been receiving moderate to heavy snowfall for the past few days, triggering avalanches at many places.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’