Back home, women complain of harassment at Feroze market
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
The safety of women has emerged as a major problem in the parking lots of Feroze Gandhi Market. The market, dominated by banks, the Ludhiana Stock Exchange, courier companies and other commercial establishments, has quite a large number of working women and some of them have complained against the men, hired by the parking contractor, stating they indulge in eve-teasing.
"The muscle men of the contractor sit on our scooters and also misbehave many times. Street lights do not work and it is a big problem for women who work till late especially in winters," one of the working women, on the condition of anonymity, said.
This, however, is not the only complaint against the contractor. K S Monga, general secretary, Feroze Gandhi Market Association, said: "The corporation gave five parking lots on contract but the contractor here is also earning from parking vehicles that come to Hotel Park Plaza, opposite the market."
Naveen Malhotra, superintendent, tehbazaari wing, MC said: "I personally visited the spot after getting some complaints but found everything normal there. But still if there are some complaints, action will be taken against the contractor."
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held