Beheaded soldier Hemraj's family ends fast after assurance by Akhilesh Yadav, Army chief
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The family of beheaded soldier Hemraj today called off their six-day-old fast after a visit by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and top BJP leaders and assurances by Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh that steps will be taken to get back the severed head back.
The end of the protest came in the evening when Akhilesh met the family and offered juice to Hemraj's fasting wife Dharamwati, mother Meena Devi and cousin Narendra, offering all help to the family as well as for the development of the village.
Minister of State for Defence Jitendra Singh visited the family of the martyred soldier and announced that the government would give Rs 46 lakh to the family.
"We are also talking to other ministries so that the family get a petrol pump," he said.
Akhilesh promised to take steps to meet the family's demands, including development of the road for the village and take up with the Centre the allotment of a petrol pump for them.
"The family have shown the strength to face this (tragedy). We have to stand by them.
We should all support the family of Lance Naik Hemraj.We have assured that whatever demands they have made for village."
The day began with the family refusing to take "even liquid", demanding that the Army chief meet them personally and give an assurance that Hemraj's head severed by Pakistani troops last week be brought back or else they will continue the fast.
However, the family decided to end the fast after a string of leaders, including Akhilesh, Jitendra Singh and top BJP leaders Nitin Gadkari, Sushma Swaraj and Rajnath Singh visited them and offered support.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow