Vivekananda remarks: Nitin Gadkari has bad mentality, says Beni Prasad
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma today criticised BJP chief Nitin Gadkari for his comments on Swami Vivekananda saying it was indicative of a very "bad mentality".
"Those equating Swami Vivekanand with Dawood Ibrahim could only have a very bad mentality," Verma told reporters here late last night.
Verma said that RSS and BJP believe that they can take their party forward by creating problems and destruction and perhaps it was because of this habit that BJP president Nitin Gadkari went on to equate Vivekanand with a terrorist.
He demanded that Election Commission should immediately ban parties which indulge in such acts as people of the country have identified them and were not interested in giving them another chance.
Gadkari yesterday denied comparing Swami Vivekananda with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and expressed "sincere regrets" over the hurt to public sentiments caused by his remarks.
"I would like to reiterate that I never compared Swami Vivekananda with anyone. I had absolutely no no intention to project Swami Vivekananda in bad light.
"If my words about Swami Vivekananda have hurt the public sentiments in any manner, I express my sincere regrets," he said in a statement.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held