'Betrayed' youth throws acid on fiancee, later commits suicide
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Irked over his fiancee's engagement to some other man, a youth first threw acid on her and later allegedly committed suicide in Nai Basti area, police said here.
The girl Shalini and the youth Naveen got engaged in May last year. Both of them used to work together at a mobile centre, they said.
However, the girl's mother later changed her mind and Shalini was engaged to another youth.
Agitated with this, Naveen reached her house last evening and threw acid on her face and feet, before allegedly consuming poison.
The family members of the girl rushed them to the district hospital from where they were referred to Meerut, but Naveen died on the way.
At the district hospital, Naveen told police that the youth to whom Shalini was re-engaged was present at her house at that time and he made Naveen drink a soft drink containing poison.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Rajesh Kumar said the matter was being investigated.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations