BJP may field seven Muslim candidates
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The BJP is likely to field Muslim candidates in seven constituencies in the Assembly polls to be held in December this year, a senior party leader said. This is the first time that the state BJP will be picking Muslim nominees for Assembly seats.
The seats are Surat (East), Jamalpur-Khadia and Dariapur in Ahmedabad, Vagra in Bharuch, Abdasa in Kutch, Wankaner in Rajkot and Modasa or Bhiloda in Sabarkantha, the BJP said.
Meanwhile, state BJP's minority cell president Mehboob Ali Chisti said they have started 'Sarva Samaj Ekta Sammelans' in Muslim pockets across the state. Chisti is the head priest of Atladara Dargah in Surat and is said to be a close aide of CM Narendra Modi.
In local bodies' polls, the party had fielded a number of Muslim candidates, many of whom won.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow