BJP slams SP ‘ploy to divert focus from real issues’
The BJP today attacked the state government saying that the quasquicentennial celebrations of the legislature was only a Samajwadi Party function organised only to divert people's attention from the genuine issues like deteriorating law and order, crippled electricity supply and deaths of people because of cold in the state.
Talking to reporters, BJP state president Laxmikant Bajpai said instead of helping the poor dying of cold and strengthening the law and order, the whole government and bureaucracy was involved in organising the function.
Bajpai said the Legislative Council appointed in 1887 was neither a Legislative Assembly nor a constitutional house and it was just a consultative committee appointed by the British governor. He asked why the SP, which had boycotted the 116-year celebrations of state legislature held in Allahabad in 2003 by then Assembly speaker Keshari Nath Tripathi, was celebrating 125 years of the same institution.
'Criminal' wanted in Bihar held in Lucknow
The UP Special Task Force on Sunday arrested Pradhun Sharma alias Mantu Sharma, who was carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh, from Lucknow's Ashiana area. Sharma had 10 criminal cases against him and was wanted by Bihar police — he is a native of Bihar's Chhapra district. A pistol, Rs 8 lakh and a motorcycle was recovered from him. The reward of Rs 1 lakh on him was declared by Bihar government in 2011.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow