Bomb found from bus in Alipurduar
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Alipurduar: A two-kg bomb, fitted with a timer device, was found from a bus at Alipurduar in Jalpaiguri district. Following a tip off, police intercepted the bus near Samuktala. On thorough search the explosive was found under a seat in an unclaimed bag last mid night, a police officer said. The passenger, who had occupied the seat, was arrested and the driver and helper of the bus were detained for interrogation. Police were investigating if the explosive was meant for any militant group.
Murder of journalist: UNESCO seeks probe
United Nations: The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) has condemned the murder of the journalist in Howrah last month and asked for a probe into the incident. "I condemn the murder of Chaitali Santra and urge the authorities to investigate this crime," UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova said in a statement. Santra, a correspondent of the Hindi weekly 'Julm se Jang', was killed on September 26 by a parcel bomb that she opened at her home. Bokova said killing and intimidating media workers constitutes an "unacceptable attack" on the basic human right of freedom of expression and on the media's democratic right to work without fear or hindrance. "It is essential that the perpetrators of such crimes be brought to justice," she added.
BSF seizes fake notes, arrests one
Kolkata: The BSF on Thursday seized a major consignment of fake currency notes with face value Rs 20 lakh. The consignment was thrown from the Bangladesh side of the border to the Indian side, said BSF. Later they arrested the courier who was trying to collect th consignment.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations