Both Virbhadra, Dhumal hopeful
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
With the counting of votes hours away, the BJP on Wednesday claimed it was confident of returning to power. However, the exit polls have indicated that the Congress has an edge over it.
Virbhadra Singh, who was made PCC chief two months prior to the polls, said, "The mood of the people is for a change. Most exit polls are in our favour. I am confident of my own assessment. The Congress will return to power with very good numbers."
The polls have been a do or die battle for Virbhadra, who had to prove his mass appeal and clear himself of controversies. Despite his detractors asserting that Sonia Gandhi will decide the chief minister, the five-time chief minister is determined to make it the sixth time as well.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal was in his Samirpur village to monitor the results. "Exit polls are not endorsements of public sentiments... Some states have set a trend of voting back performing governments. The record voter turnout is a clear indication of pro-incumbency. The anger is directed against the anti-people policies of the UPA government," he asserted.
However, the presence of a third front, led by Himachal Lokhit Party, and rebellion within the BJP could spell trouble for the ruling party.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow