Dalit boy commits suicide on Etah school campus 'after police harassment'
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
A Class XII student of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in Etah allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree inside the school campus on Tuesday morning.
Students alleged that Raj Kumar, a Dalit, ended his life after the police and school authorities thrashed him while questioning him in connection with the disappearance of a student on Monday.
Students held a demonstration inside the campus, damaged furniture and demanded suspension of the accused persons. However, the police and school administration pacified the agitated students.
In the evening, on the basis of a complaint from Ashish Yadav, a student, the police lodged an FIR against principal RP Sharma, teacher Beena and Station Officer of Rijaur police station Subodh Kumar on the charges of causing hurt, insult, abetment of suicide, and SC/ST Atrocities Act.
Additional Superintendent of Police RM Bhardwaj said they found a note fixed on the door of the hostel warden which, according to students, was Raj's suicide note.
The note, purportedly written by Raj, said that the principal, a teacher and the station officer of Raijaur police station had thrashed and abused him after Shivam, a class XII student, went missing on Monday morning.
The police questioned students and, later in the evening, found Shivam at the house of a friend's relative.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow