Brace for more rain, dense fog this week
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
The wet week is likely to continue, says the weatherman. The Meteorological department has forecast more rain for Thursday. The city can also expect two nights of dense fog from December 14, after the rain spell.
Dr R K Jenamani, Director, India Meteorological Department (IGIA) said: "The approaching western disturbance, together with an induced cyclonic circulation, has led to a cloud cover from Wednesday afternoon. We can expect rain from Thursday morning. This will be followed by some light winds, which will trigger a dense CAT-III dense fog over from Friday to Saturday."
General visibility reduces to near zero levels, in CAT III fog, as defined by the Met department. Till Wednesday, visibility has remained clear at around 2,800 metres.
Day temperatures are also likely to fall from Thursday, the weatherman said. The temperatures remained pleasant on Wednesday, with the maximum touching 23.8 degrees Celsius, one degree above normal. The minimum temperature fell one degree below normal, to 7.7 degrees Celsius. According to IMD officials, 2 mm of rainfall was recorded from Tuesday afternoon to 8.30 am on Wednesday.
Last year, only a single day of rainfall was seen in December with 0.6 mm of rainfall being recorded.
IMD officials said the cold wave is unlikely to hit before next week, due to the presence of the north easterly winds.
"The north western winds bring in the cold spell. This will only start once the effects of the new western disturbance die out. This is not likely before next week," an official said.
A humidity of 96 percent was recorded on Wednesday.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow