- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
13 parliamentary secretaries sworn in
Kolkata:Amidst a boycott by the entire opposition, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday administered the oath of office and secrecy to 13 parliamentary secretaries, all Trinamool Congress MLAs, in the state. The appointment of parliamentary secretaries was resented by the opposition parties on the ground that it would impose a further burden on the state government already stressed by an acute financial crisis. The parliamentary secretaries will enjoy the status, privileges and perks similar to that of a minister of state or deputy minister as the Chief Minister prefers.
Tea garden suspends work in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri:Chamorchi Tea Garden at Banarhat in Jalpaiguri district has declared suspension of work from Wednesday midnight, throwing 1,074 employees out of their jobs. The manager gave the suspension of work notice to the Banarhat police station last midnight and left the garden, sources said.
Another suspension of work notice was put up at the garden gate. The police had gone to the garden on January 21 after employees protested half pay announced by the management on account of fall in production. After police intervention, the manager of the garden had declared that full pay would be paid. The garden had closed a number of times in the past because of "poor financial health" and had reopened recently.
Body of woman found floating in river
Jalpaiguri:A body of an unidentified woman was found floating in Karala river at Jalpaiguri town on Thursday. Police said the woman could be between 28 and 30 years old. Allegations of rape and murdered are being looked into, they said.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet