Briefly World: ‘Barter’ of 13 girls to settle dispute in Pak prompts SC action
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
'Barter' of 13 girls to settle dispute in Pak prompts SC action
Islamabad: A tribal council, allegedly presided over by lawmaker Mir Tariq Masuri in Dera Bugti district of Balochistan, last month decided to give away 13 girls between four and 16 years in marriage under the controversial 'vani' custom to resolve a dispute between two tribal groups, prompting Supreme Court on Tuesday to take action against those responsible.
Israeli PM calls early elections in 2013
JERUSALEM: Israel's prime minister has ordered new parliamentary elections in early 2013, roughly eight months ahead of schedule. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was forced to order the vote after his coalition could not agree on a budget.
Pak: 'Brain-eating amoeba' kills 10
ISLAMABAD: A waterborne parasite commonly known as "brain-eating amoeba" has killed 10 people here, a Pakistani official with the WHO said Tuesday. The amoeba, naegleria fowleri, lives in warm, unclean water. It can infect the human nervous system, though this occurs rarely. It is difficult to treat and can lead to death in about a week.
Crime gang kingpin killed: Mexican navy
MEXICO CITY: The Mexican Navy confirmed on Tuesday that it had killed Heriberto Lazcano, founder and principal leader of the Zetas, one of the most violent criminal gangs to terrorize the country in years. But in a striking twist, an armed group quickly stole the body, a state prosecutor said Tuesday.
Skydiver cancels try at supersonic jump
ROSWELL: Extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner cancelled his death-defying 37.01-km free fall Tuesday because of high winds, second time this week he was forced to postpone his quest.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations