Brisbane nightclub faces online backlash for promoting sexist cocktail names
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
A Brisbane nightclub is at the centre of a social media storm for promoting drinks with sexist names.
Spectrum Daiquiri Bar in Fortitude Valley has earned condemnation for naming two of its cocktails Winey Bitch and Red-Headed Slut.
The club has attracted thousands of complaints on Facebook and Twitter in the past three days, with the overwhelming majority attacking the owners for alleged misogyny, the Courier Mail reports.
"As if Fortitude Valley wasn''t tacky or dangerous enough. These names demean women in an area where drinking and violence go hand in hand," Liz Catt posted.
"Bravo, Spectrum. In a country where alcohol is a major factor in both domestic violence and sexual assault, you manage to combine them all in your drink names," Nicole Jameson said.
Dr Deborah Walsh of the University of Queensland''s School of Social Work and Human Services said she was encouraged by the condemnation of the bar, the report said.
In a statement, Spectrum''s owners said they were reviewing the names and descriptions of the drinks, with a decision to be made in due course, it added.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet