Buddhadeb slams CM over meeting Clinton
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
The Left Front organised a massive "anti-imperialism" rally today in the city — in a bid to outline its anti-FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) stand before the farmers ahead of the upcoming panchayat polls.
Senior Front leaders, including former CM Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and LF chairman Biman Bose, were present in the meeting.
Criticising the visit of US secretary of state Hillary Clinton, Bhattacharjee said, "This is the first time in the history that a US secretary of state has visited a Bengal chief minister. This is unusual. But we can say that the US is trying to ensure its entry into India and Bengal is a strategic place for them."
"We will never allow FDI in retail to enter the country and the state. The US firms have made their places in every sector, including medicine industry, banking and insurance. They also have access to our defence establishment."
Leaders like Suryakanta Mishra, Nirupam Sen and Gautam Deb were also present at the rally, which started at Rani Rasmani Road around 1.30 pm.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow