Budget 2013 Factbox: Expectations from P. Chidambaram
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Budget 2013: Finance Minister P. Chidambaram will deliver on Thursday the budget for the 2013/14 fiscal year that starts on April 1.
Chidambaram is expected to push fiscal consolidation through spending cuts while looking to increase revenues to ward off the threat of a credit rating downgrade.
Following are expectations from economists, analysts, investors and companies from the budget.
* Government target seen at 4.8 percent of gross domestic product for 2013/14
* Government has revised 2012/13 target to 5.3 percent of gross domestic product, compared with 5.1 percent estimated in the budget in March.
* Government's GDP growth forecast for 2013/14 seen at 6 to 6.5 percent, compared with a decade-low of 5 percent in 2012/13 according to estimates released by the ministry of statistics. The finance minister has said the economy should expand 5.5 percent in 2012/13.
* Analysts expect net government borrowing below 5 trillion rupees ($92.4 billion) in FY14, little changed from 4.67 trillion rupees in FY13
* Total subsidy burden seen falling by 400 billion-500 billion rupees from estimated 2.6 trillion rupees in FY13
* Ratio of subsidy payments to GDP seen below 2 percent by the end of 2013/14, compared with preliminary expectations of about 2.5 percent in 2012/13
* FY14 food subsidy bill seen between 850 billion and 1 trillion rupees versus 750 billion rupees budget estimates for current year
* Likely to cut fertiliser subsidy by at least 15 percent for 2013/14
* Finance minister plans to cut FY14 public spending target by up to 10 percent from FY13's original target Of 14.9 trillion rupees
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held