Campaigning ends for first phase of Gujarat polls
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
Campaigning for the first phase of Gujarat assembly elections ended on Tuesday evening.
A total of 87 constituencies spread over 15 districts from Saurashtra and south regions of the state will go for polls on December 13.
Political fate of 846 candidates will be decided in this phase.
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) veteran Lal Krishna Advani were among the prominent leaders, who campaigned for their respective on the last day in this phase.
Rahul Gandhi, who made his first appearance in the Gujarat assembly election campaign today, addressed election rallies in Jamnagar, Sanand and Amreli.
He claimed that there is a false propaganda launched in Gujarat that the state is making all round progress, but contrary to it there is rampant corruption in the state, unemployment is very high and there is all round failure.
Rahul Gandhi called Modi a salesman of false propaganda that Gujarat was making all round progress.
He said there is no Lokayukta in Gujarat and 14,000 RTI applications were pending as government does not want to let any information come out as it would expose its true affairs.
Advani, who addressed an election rally in Sanand, lauded Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his effective administration. Expressing confidence of the BJP''s victory in Gujarat, Advani said it would be a hat trick for Modi on December 20.
Modi, who has been leading the BJP Government in Gujarat for the last eleven years, is eyeing for a consecutive third term.
The BJP veteran also expressed his astonishment over the Congress Party repeatedly targetting Modi.
Gujarat will go to the polls in two phases on December 13 and 17. The counting of votes will take place on December 20.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'