Cancer wake-up call in Punjab
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
"Multiple factors were responsible for significantly higher prevalence of cancer cases in Talwandi Sabo; therefore, a multi-pronged strategy to discourage the indiscriminate use of pesticides, tobacco and alcohol needs to be adopted," stated the 2008 study.
Among Malwa's districts, the latest study found Muktsar with 136.3 cancer cases per lakh, followed by Mansa, Bathinda and Ferozepur. Deaths too were highest in Muktsar, followed by Moga. Of suspected cases, the number of people showing symptoms was the highest in Moga, followed by Sangrur, Muktsar and Ferozepur.
In Doaba, incidence was highest in Kapurthala (99.1 per lakh), followed by Jalandhar and Hoshiapur. Deaths were highest in Jalandhar, followed by Kapurthala and Hoshiarpur, and suspected cases highest in Jalandhar, followed by Kapurthala.
In Majha, Amritsar had the highest incidence (81.2 per lakh) as well as deaths, while Tarn Taran had the most suspected cases.
The survey involved 40,000 field workers in an effort coordinated by 88, 800 and 4,000 people respectively at state, district and block levels.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held