India car sales set to decline in FY13, first time in a decade
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
The data released by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) shows auto makers sold 1,73,420 units of cars in January this year compared to 1,98,079 in the same month in 2012.
The Indian automobile market ranks fifth in the global auto production stakes. The sector contributes about 6 per cent by weight to the index for the total Indian manufacturing sector.
"The way car sales are at the moment, we may not be able to meet the forecast of 0-1 per cent growth for the domestic passenger cars we made last month. It will be in the negative territory this fiscal," SIAM Director General Vishnu Mathur told reporters here. Gloomy macro-economic factors and negative sentiments continue to hit demand this fiscal.
Worried by the performance of the industry, SIAM has called for government intervention in the form of reduction in excise duties in the Budget and special schemes for commercial vehicles under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) to boost the sector.
"In the April-January period this fiscal, the domestic passenger car sales have declined by 1.8 per cent to 15,56,283 units compared to the year-ago period. The overall economic situation is low and the consumer sentiments are deeply negative despite the recent notional rate cuts by the RBI," Mathur said, adding even new model launches have not been able to have a major uplifting impact.
He said the auto industry has put forward demands to the government to reduce excise duties on small cars to 10 per cent and big cars to 22 per cent in the upcoming Budget.
On the other hand, sale of two-wheeler in January increased by 8.46 per cent to 12,06,937 units from 11,12,767 units in the same period of previous year. Total sale of vehicles across categories registered a growth of 5.31 per cent to 15,61,104 units in January 2013 as against 14,82,437 units in the corresponding month of the previous year, it added.
The cumulative production data for April-January 2013 shows a 2.76 per cent growth over the same period last year.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Mumbai police say they too may seek custody of arrested pacer
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet