Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree’s husband kills self
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
Popular Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan allegedly committed suicide on Thursday by jumping into a river here. The suicide comes amid the Margazhi music festival in the city in which his wife is one of the star performers.
The police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Mahadevan came in a car and jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge. The police, along with the Fire and Rescue Services Department personnel, arrived at the spot on receiving information and retrieved the body of 45-year-old Mahadevan from the river.
The reason behind Mahadevan's decision to end his life is being probed, the police added.
Mahadevan is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of Carnatic musicians, is granddaughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of Carnatic vocalists —the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and late M L Vasanthakumari.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'