Carry pepper spray, knives, chilli: Pune top cop to women
Pune Police chief Gulabrao Pol wants women to carry knives, chilli powder or pepper spray and use them in self-defence if attacked.
Speaking at a meet organised to discuss security of women, he suggested that initial self-defence measures should be taken by women before they call for help. "Women should carry knives, chilli powder or spray and use them in defence themselves against any man who may harass them. There is a provision in law that says a woman can attack any culprit in self-defence. Women can injure the man... raise an alarm, and call police for help," he said.
He told women not to be afraid of his force. "More than 10 per cent of the Pune police force is women. We would be deploying female cops at welcome desks of all police stations so women can easily approach police and register complaints," Pol said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow