Catholic Ireland blames doctors for Savita Halappanavar's death?
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Ireland is set to proceed with its inquiry into the death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar due to pregnancy-related complications after being denied abortion, notwithstanding her husband's demand for a full public investigation.
Irish Minister for Health James Reilly said he had a duty of care to women to ensure there were not any unsafe practices in Galway University Hospital, where 31-year-old Savita died last month.
He said he wanted the Health Service Executive to get on with the investigation as quickly as possible.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) yesterday removed three members of its seven-member inquiry team who were consultants at the hospital. The three are John J Morrison, Catherine Fleming and Brian Harte.
Savita's husband Praveen had refused to talk to the investigators, saying he would not consent to their viewing his wife's medical records as these three senior doctors of Galway hospital were part of the team that messed up his wife's case.
"The three doctors will not be part of the investigation and therefore different personnel who are competent, who are experienced and who have no connection to Galway University Hospital will be appointed," Prime Minister Enda Kenny said
However, Praveen said he would still not cooperate with any investigation run by the HSE.
He is seeking a public investigation of the death of his wife, who was refused termination of pregnancy despite miscarrying.
Savita had been 17 weeks pregnant and her husband says she asked repeatedly for a termination but was refused as there was a foetal heartbeat present.
Praveen told The Irish Times he and Savita's parents wanted a full public inquiry funded by the Department of Health and not by the HSE.
He said the removal of the three consultants from Galway University Hospital from the inquiry, announced by Kenny in the Dail (Parliament) yesterday, was not enough.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held