Chakravyuh: Cause and effect
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
At the Screen Preview of Chakravyuh, the director and cast spoke about the need to address the Naxalite issue in mainstream cinema.
On the sets, I don't direct my actors." This confession by Prakash Jha at the Screen Preview for his upcoming release Chakravyuh was in sharp contrast with the reputation the director enjoys — of drawing commendable performances from his cast. Jha's actors, however, supported his statement. Esha Gupta and Abhay Deol explained that instead of telling them what to do before the camera rolls, the director conducts workshops and provides each artiste with a detailed character note. "On the sets, therefore, we just get into our elements and take on the character," explained Deol.
Jha, along with the cast of Chakravyuh — Anjali Patil, Manoj Bajpai, Gupta and Deol — was at Express Towers in Mumbai on Monday evening to talk about the film, which will release on October 24. Enthused about his project, the filmmaker — known for his issue-based films such as Gangaajal, Apaharan and Raajneeti — spoke extensively about his decision to bring the Naxalite issue into mainstream cinema.
"It is an issue that has affected thousands of Indians — victims as well as those who have taken up arms. The subject of disparity in the distribution of wealth is even more pronounced, given the scams," explained Jha, adding that he hopes Chakravyuh will help create awareness on the subject.
The challenge, however, lay in finding a story that would both address the issue as well as entertain the audience. Chakravyuh, therefore, unfolds through the story of a friendship between a police officer Aadil Khan (played by Arjun Rampal, who could not attend the event) and his layman friend Kabir. With his unit defeated in an operation against Naxalites, Aadil encourages Kabir to infiltrate the rebel group and betray their location. However, after spending time with them, Kabir begins to subscribe to their ideology.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow