Centre cautions state govt on withdrawing terror cases
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
The Centre on Tuesday cautioned the Uttar Pradesh government of any move to withdraw cases against suspects of the 2006 Varanasi blasts, saying even an "iota of evidence" against terrorists would set a "bad precedent". Union Minister of State for Home RPN Singh also expressed hoped that Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav would go through the files of the suspects in the case before taking any such step.
"In any case, that is the government of Uttar Pradesh taking view on that. I haven't reviewed those cases. If there is some kind of recommendation that come from Uttar Pradesh, be it any terrorist case, if there is an iota of evidence against any terrorist, I think that would set a bad precedent," he told reporters. "I am sure that Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has taken everything into view and gone through the file before he takes any such step," he added.
Singh was responding to questions on the UP government seeking permission from the Allahabad High Court to withdraw cases against two suspects of 2006 Varanasi serial blasts which had claimed 25 lives. Last week, the Allahabad HC had lashed out at the state's move to withdraw terror charges against those accused in the Varanasi serial blasts.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held