Centre wants property rights for slum dwellers
Newly-appointed housing and urban poverty minister Ajay Maken on Tuesday said the state governments would be asked to issue an executive order to provide property rights to slum dwellers till the Model Bill on the issue is passed.
Soon after taking charge of the ministry, Maken told reporters that a Model Property Rights to Slum Dwellers Bill, 2011 will be passed at the earliest and the states would be expected to enact their laws based on it within a year.
''Meanwhile, we want the states to implement its provisions through an executive order and provide property rights to slum dwellers,'' he said, adding that provisions for providing bank loans would also be a part of the order. ''We want these provisions to be made mandatory,'' Makan said. He enumerated several ambitious plans which he hopes to implement in the 18 months time that he has before the next elections.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow