Chandigarh an integral part of Punjab, says Sukhbir
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, on the occasion of Punjab Day on Thursday, rued the fact that Punjab was still sharing Chandigarh with Haryana.
In the city to participate in an interaction organised by local industrialists, Sukhbir said: "Chandigarh was an integral part of Punjab before the formation of Haryana. Ideally speaking, the captain remains with the parent team and the other one should get a new captain. But it is really unfortunate that we are still sharing Chandigarh with Haryana."
He added: "Certain laws need to be changed and we are giving our due representations to Centre regarding our right on Chandigarh. Legal formalities are also being take care of."
Speaking about his meeting with the industrialists, Sukhbir said: "It is kind of a sangat darshan for industrialists in rural areas. We are doing such meetings in all cities."
Justifying urban Punjab paying more taxes, Sukhbir said government was spending more on urban areas, residents will have to pay more taxes.
Asked about delay in implementation of mining policy, Sukhbir said: "It is the Centre's fault. They are not forming the body to give environment clearances. Due to this, the works are getting delayed."
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet