Chandigarh shrinking: MC proposes yet another multi-level parking lot in Sector 17
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
The structure, proposed at the Gurdev parking lot site, would be a three-storeyed one with basement and surface parking. It will have the capacity to accommodate around 1,000 cars. A civic body official told Newsline that the feasibility of the proposition was being studied. "The idea is to have a three-storeyed basement parking area. There is a need to study the present conditions of the site as it is surrounded by buildings on all sides. The effect of constructing the parking lot on the buildings needs to be studied. Care will have to be taken to see that the earth does not cave in from digging too deep. Once the feasibility study is complete, the final plans will be prepared," said the official.
The parking situation in the sector is very chaotic at present. With Sector 17 being the shopping hub of the city, it is almost a nightmare when it comes to looking for parking space. Apart from a display board identifying the multi-level parking site, there is no progress on Ground Zero. The project got delayed as electric cables were found at the site once approval for construction was given. The Administration had to complete the work of shifting the cables by December last year but no progress was seen till earlier this year. The site is now said to be handed over within a month, after which construction will begin.
According to a recent survey by Rail India Technical and Economic Services (RITES), there is 6,658 ECS (equivalent car space) available in Sector 17, while the need is for nearly 10,074 ECS. The MC aims to cover up the deficit by constructing multi-level parking lots in the area.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held