China's Nobel laureate Mo Yan nominated to legislative body
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
China's ruling Communist Party has nominated the country's first Nobel Prize-winning writer Mo Yan as a member of a top advisory legislature.
Mo Yan, member of the Communist Party of China-run writer's body rose from the ranks of a cow herd to become a top author of the country and was awarded Nobel Prize for Literature last year.
He and ex-basketball star Yao Ming besides Hollywood star Jackie Chan were nominated to be members of 2,237-strong Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), an advisory legislative body.
The decision was based on a proposal formulated by the CPC Central Committee, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The proposal list included people from all walks of life in China, including officials, military officers, members of non-Communist parties, as well as representatives from economic, political, cultural, social and environmental fields, Ling Jihua, head of the United Front Work Department of the CPC Central Committee said.
Representatives from religious circles and ethnic minority groups are also included in the final list, Ling said.
Of the 2,237 CPPCC members, 893 are also CPC members. Its annual session would take place early next month.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow