CID takes over probe, visits spot
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
"We are investigating the case and hopeful of collecting the evidence," said Vineet Goyel, DIG, CID.
The victim was returning home alone from the brick kiln located in the outskirts of the village when she was allegedly assaulted by six men. Her husband, who had reportedly reached home earlier, went out looking for her. After hearing the cries, he rushed near a pond where he saw four men dragging his wife towards it. When he tried to stop them, the goons attacked him and threw acid on his face. Villagers rushed the couple to Barasat hospital. While the woman was declared dead on arrival, the husband was referred to RG Kar Hospital in Kolkata. His condition is said to be critical.
Superintendent of Police, North 24-Parganas, Sugata Sen, said preliminary evidence indicated that the woman was raped and the body has been sent to Barasat hospital for post mortem.
Medical Superintendent of the hospital, Pushpendu Sengupta said preliminary report indicated that she was stabbed on her abdomen several times with a knife. The post mortem report is yet to be finalised. Police too said the body of the woman bore deep cuts made by sharp weapons.
Meanwhile, police said they are conducting raids in the nearby areas. They are also probing into reasons that led to the gruesome crime.
The owner of the brick kiln, Mujibar Rahaman, told the police that 120 people work under him and on Saturday everyone had left the area around 5 pm.
Politicians make a beeline to village
Meanwhile, a host of politicians from different parties visited the village and met the victim's family.
Trinamool Congress leader and Food and Supply Minister Jyotipriyo Mullick, Congress leader and Union Minister of State for Urban Development Deepa Dasmunsi and Forward Bloc leader Saral Deb also visited the village.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow