Citizensí tips sought to improve BMC budget
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Citizens can, for the first time, send in suggestions to improve the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) budget. They can suggest ideas or make demands to be incorporated into the BMC budget. They can also seek the removal of a budget head. The idea of inviting suggestions has been mooted by standing committee chairman, Rahul Shewale.
The draft civic budget was presented before the civic standing committee earlier this week by municipal commissioner Subodh Kumar and has yet to be approved by corporators of the standing committee.
The municipal commissioner has proposed a hike in water cess, development charges including other development works in the draft budget for 2012-13.
Shewale, a Shiv Sena corporator, said, "The idea is to encourage citizens to participate in the budget and offer suggestions for better amenities for them. It is important for the civic administration and corporators to understand what the common man wants, how to improve civic services and how to save taxpayers' money and thereby improve the budget. Suggestions would be welcome."
He has asked senior citizens, youth organizations, medical fraternity, town planners, architects and lawyers to send in suggestions.
They can send suggestions from March 26 to April 4 either by mail or fax to the standing committee chairman's office.
While it is the right of the standing committee to clear budget as per Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, the committee members will discuss the budget and make changes before seeking final approval in civic general body meeting attended by all corporators. The BMC budget is likely to be finalised by April end.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow