City briefs : Extend deadline to pay property tax: Mayor
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
Mayor Sunil Prabhu demanded Thursday the deadline to pay property tax bills computed using the new capital value system be relaxed. He said many citizens were confused due to the numerous errors in the bills."BMC needs to clear the confusion. Till the errors are rectified, it should not take action for delay in paying the bills," Prabhu said.
"The burden is excessive as citizens whose tax has increased have to pay arrears for three years. Citizens are also worried the tax may go up to 40 per cent in the next five years. We will oppose the proposal for revision of tax rates," he said.
BMC started issuing capital value-based property tax bills in the last week of December with effect from 2010. Property tax was earlier calculated based on rateable value.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held