City sports: Savio, Andheri YMCA corner titles
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, seeks SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
Savio, Andheri YMCA corner titles
Savio Club and Andheri YMCA won the men's and women's titles respectively of the Mahindra NBA Challenge basketball at the Don Bosco courts, Matunga, over the weekend.
In the women's final, played under lights on Sunday, Andheri YMCA scored a fluent 38-20 victory over UMIT with Cynara Rebello stealing the show with a fine display and top scoring with 18 points. The men's final too saw Savio Club put it across Greater Mumbai Police with a degree of comfort 62-32 after leading 19-13 at the half-time.
With these victories, Savio Club and Andheri YMCA qualified for the National finals to be held in October next year. Joining them in the National finals will also be the boys' under-18 Savio Club squad, who carved out a thumping 82-38 victory over Chembur YMCA. The Savio Club boys had the game well under control from the start, thanks to a stellar performance by Kush Lahankar who went on to become the highest scorer with 28 points and was later named Most Valuable Player of the under-18 finals.
Roma Harkude scored a three-pointer seconds from the final hooter, to help St Anthony's put it across Bandra YMCA 37-34 to lift the girls' under-16 crown. The match was well contested with the Bandra girls taking the lead before St. Anthony's came back strongly to shoot ahead. However, the Bandra YMCA girls fought back to level scores only to see Roma come up with that all-important three-pointer to tip the scale St. Anthony's way.
Results: Men: Savio Club 62 (Zaheer 21 ) beat Greater Mumbai Police (Sandeep Aadad 9). Women: Andheri YMCA 38 (Cynara Rebello 18 ) beat UMIT 20 (Preethvi Shetty 10 ) Gilrs (under-13) St. Anthony's 35 (Anisho Kotian 10 ) beat Divine Child 32. Girls (under -16) St. Anthony's 37 (Roma Harkude 14 ) beat Bandra YMCA 34 (Nikansha Mehta 16). Boys (under 16): Mastan YMCA 64 (Shaik Hammad 23 ) beat Savio Club 38 (Darshil D 14). Boys (under-18): Savio Club 82 (Kush Lahankar 28, Luv Lahankar 12 ) beat Chembur YMCA 38 (Brian Saldanha 10 ).
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'