City to get 6 more flyovers
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
In a bid to ease traffic congestion at some of the busiest junctions in the city, the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) has decided to build six flyovers in the coming year.
Based on a detailed traffic survey conducted by the Central Road Research Institute (CRRI), New Delhi, out of 34 flyovers suggested, six have been prioritised by the civic body at Helmet junction, Anjali crossing, Dinesh Chambers, Hatkeshwer, Income Tax and Shyamal crossing.
Among other junctions identified by CRRI, which may get flyovers later on, are Paldi junction, Mansi circle, Parimal Garden, Jivraj Park, Memco, Prahladnagar garden, Danilimda and Panjra pol.
"Lately, flyovers had become a political agenda and everyone demanded a flyover or a bridge in their wards. To avoid this, we roped in CRRI and on the basis of its real-time traffic survey report, out of 34, these six junctions have been identified to be developed on priority," municipal commissioner Guruprasad Mohapatra told reporters on Monday.
The space under the bridges would be developed keeping in mind the socio-economic set up of the area. Parking lots, park plaza, gymnasium, food court and similar other facilities are to be developed under these flyovers.
Mohapatra, meanwhile, said that a number of amusement activities like roller coaster, musical swing, toy trains, moon walker, and hot-air balloon rides would be introduced at Vastrapur lake and Prahladnagar gardens by the end of next month, on the lines of Kankaria Lake.
30 hurt as truck rams into bus
As many as 30 passengers of a state transport bus were injured when a speeding truck rammed into the vehicle at Tapovan Circle on the Gandhinagar highway on Monday morning.
Police said the truck was coming from Ahmedabad while the bus going to north Gujarat from Nadiad. The bus overturned after being hit.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet