Coconut Oil Still Stands Good
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
It is true that coconut oil is dominated by saturated fat (the kind of fat that solidifies at room temperature). But whether this fat is detrimental to health is a different issue. Ancel Key is largely responsible for starting the 'anti-saturated fat' movement. Between 1953 to 1957, Keys made a series of statements regarding the atherogenicity (artery clogging ability) of saturated fats.
But 'animal' saturated and 'vegetable' saturated fats differ. All fatty acids in saturated fats do not cause disease. The studies done on coconut oil with respect to its cholesterol raising/disease causing potential, were done on 'hydrogenated coconut oil', chemically produced, which causes formation of harmful 'trans fats', raising blood cholesterol. In fact, later studies on coconut oil, which was not hydrogenated and fed physiologically with other fats or adequately supplemented with linoleic acid— an essential fat, proved that coconut oil is neutral in terms of atherogenicity.
Epidemiological and experimental data regarding coconut-eating groups note that dietary coconut oil does not lead to high serum cholesterol or to high coronary artery disease mortality. A study conducted in 2004 at the University of Kerala by Nevin K G and Rajmohan T demonstrated the potential of virgin coconut oil to lower lipid levels in serum tissues and LDL oxidation by physiological oxidants—polyphenols present in the oil.
Use of coconut oil along with other healthy fats provides nourishment to all cells and supports metabolism. In addition, coconut oil triggers a powerful mechanism of satiation, which holds the key to permanent weight loss, as it has a good 'thermogenic effect'.
Coconut oil also has a suggestive role for HIV, herpes and cytomegalo virus in the initial formation of plaques and reclogging of arteries after angioplasty. What is interesting is that herpes and cytomgalo viruses are both inhibited by the main MCFA (Medium Chain Fatty Acid), Antimicrobial lipid Monolaurin, which is not formed in the body, unless there is a source of Lauric Acid in the diet. It is also found in mother's milk. Monolaurin helps you defend against viruses, bacteria, and other pathogens, thus strengthening the immune system. Hence, it would be important to investigate the practical aspects and the potential benefits of coconut oil as an adjunct nutritional support regimen, for HIV infected individuals or immunity compromised individuals. It is also the richest source of Lauric Acid. Lim Sylianco has reviewed 50 years of literature, showing anti-carcinogenic effects of dietary coconut oil. It also has an anti-tumour effect.
It is always better to go for virgin coconut oil, which is produced locally using traditional, low-tech processes. Most commercial coconut oil is refined, bleached and
deodorized (RBD) at temperatures over 200 F or treated with solvents. Refining and bleaching deplete mechanically produced oil Vitamin E and other nutrients.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow