- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Digitisation is very lucrative. 50 per cent of revenue can be generated from platforms other than comic book distribution
– Karan Vir Arora, CEO-Founder, Vimanika Comics
Motu and Patlu have been around for four decades now. While the kids watch the show out of curiosity, the parents watch it for nostalgia. So, the children also get the gatekeeper's (parents) nod to watch the show
— Nina Elavia Jaipuria, EVP and Business Head, Sonic and
One of India's largest comic book series, Amar Chitra Katha in association with Cartoon Network, has made a foray into films with the release of 3D animation venture, Sons Of Ram, a story of two brothers, Luv and Kush. Moreover, Shikari Shambu, an endearing animal hunter, has also made way from the pages of Tinkle comics into a short film that will be played before screening Sons Of Ram.
Recently, Nickelodeon began airing Maya Digital studios produced 3D animation TV show, Motu Patlu based on the famous Lotpot Comics' toons Motu and Patlu. Maya Digital studios has also teamed up with Vimanika Comics to bring out an animated television show and a film for television on one of the company's most popular titles, The Sixth: Karna — The Warrior Kid.
Today, Indian comics are going beyond the realm of pages with sketched animated figures and dialogue bubbles and are being adapted for more contemporary platforms like films, television and digital media using the animation format. Next year, Diamond Comics are also planning to launch a television series on two of their most memorable characters — Chacha Chaudhary and Mahabali Shaka.
"The Indian comic industry is worth `100 crore and a 100 per cent growth is expected in near future," says Karan Vir Arora, CEO-Founder, Vimanika Comics.
Comic books: a serious business
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations