Complaints: Insurance mis-selling tops
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Mis-selling of insurance policies and delay in claim settlements top the list of 2,341 complaints lodged by aggrieved customers with the Chandigarh Insurance Ombudsman.
"We have received maximum complaints against insurance companies pertaining to mis-selling of insurance products followed by delay in settlement of claims," an official of Insurance Ombudsman said here.
Out of pending 1,544 complaints with regard to life insurance, about 80 per cent complaints are against private life insurers, he said.
Out of 797 complaints against non-life insurers, 60 per cent of them are against public sector companies, he added.
Chandigarh Insurance Ombudsman has jurisdiction over Punjab, UT Chandigarh, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana.
"There are maximum cases in which insurance customers have complained that they had been sold policies by saying that it was single premium 'Fixed Deposit' scheme with high returns.
"But to their utter shock, customers found from the policy (document) that they would now have to pay premium for several years, rather than paying once. Such kind of cases fall in the category of mis-selling," official said.
It also came to notice through complaints that customers were deliberately being denied of the 'free look' period option by unscrupulous agents so that customers were left with no other option than continuing with the policy.
"There is a Free Look period of 15 days given by the insurance companies whereby customer can return the policy within 15 days from the date of receipt of insurance policy," official said.
Delay in settlement claims and non-issuance of insurance documents after payment of premium are other types of complaints which were lodged by customers.
In case of non-life insurance complaints, customers had disputes with general insurance companies on the approval of amount of insurance claims.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet