Con Job: Cab driver at IGIA scares siblings into renting hotel room
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
A taxi driver was arrested on Tuesday for trying to swindle a brother-sister duo who boarded his taxi from the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) on December 23.
Police said the siblings — Gurpreet Singh and Kuljit Kaur — had come to IGIA from Punjab on board a bus service, which ferries passengers from Punjab to IGIA, early morning on December 23.
"The two were to take a flight. As there was some time before the flight, they decided to visit their relative in Defence Colony. Kuljit was getting married this year and she had come to India to meet her relatives and do some shopping. Their relative told them to be at the airport till 5.30 am and then to take a pre-paid taxi to Defence Colony," a police officer said.
According to police, the siblings hailed a black-and-yellow taxi from the airport. "The driver, noticing their bags, decided to swindle them. He told them that they could not be taken to their destination as there was law and order situation in the city, following the gangrape of the 23-year-old paramedic student," the officer said.
"The driver told the duo that he would check them into a hotel instead. Mid-way, he asked the two if they had valid IDs. He told them that they could not get a hotel room unless they had valid identity proof."
"Gurpreet was able to produce an ID. But Kuljit didn't have one on her. The driver then stopped the taxi and told them that no hotel would accommodate them. He told them that he could arrange an accommodation for them at Mahipalpur. Kuljit, who began getting worried by now, called up her fiance in New Zealand and ask him to arrange for her ID proof," the officer said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held