Cong cries foul over new Punjab Lokpal
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
Amid allegations of it being a "political appointment" with a clear case of "conflict of interest", Justice (retd) Jai Singh Sekhon took oath as the new Lokpal of Punjab on Friday triggering a fresh round of protest from the Congress.
The Congress has been saying that for the sake of "moral and judicial propriety" Justice Sekhon should have declined to be the Punjab Lokpal as his brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is a minister in the Punjab government.
State Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh in a letter to Governor Shivraj Patil, a copy of which was sent to the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, said, "A Lokpal is required to be an autonomous, independent-minded and politically uncoloured individual mandated and empowered by the provisions of The Punjab Lokpal Act,1996 to investigate and inquire into complaints of misconduct and corruption. There is a clear and patent conflict of interest between the personal life and familial affiliations of Justice Sekhon and his duties and functions as an independent and autonomous Lokpal."
"I am also given to understand that Justice Sekhon's wife is a close relative of the present Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal," he wrote. with PTI inputs
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held