Cong shortlists 30 women candidates
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
The state Congress has shortlisted 30 women candidates from around 150 aspirants seeking to contest the December Assembly elections on the party ticket.
Gujarat Pradesh Mahila Congress president Sonal Patel, who was in the city to mobilise women party workers from central Gujarat, said the list of shortlisted candidates has been sent to senior party functionaries who will take a final call soon.
"After the election process set rolling, our senior leaders were asked to find at least one woman candidate in each district. More than 150 women had sought party ticket," she said.
Patel said the party has persuaded the remaining candidates to participate in training so that they could mobilise women voters and strengthen party's hold at local level. "We have called in every woman who asked for ticket and asked them to work with a political understanding so that when there are local elections, they will be able to perform better, even if they fail to get ticket," she said.
"We have been training women and have held workshops and trainings for women workers and supporters. We are also running booth management programmes for women. We will involve 700-750 women in each constituency...," Patel said.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations