Cong to protest against MC taxes on Dec 20
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
The Ludhiana District Congress Committee (urban) will stage a protest demonstration on December 20 against the recent decisions of the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation that seek to impose heavy taxes on the city residents.
A meeting of the Congress leaders was held at Sarabha Nagar on Sunday in which all block presidents, leader of opposition, senior deputy leader of opposition and former minister Malkit Singh Dakha were present. They appealed to the public to take part in the protest so that the corrupt practices of the BJP-Akali alliance could be highlighted.
DCC president Pawan Dewan said the party decided to hold a protest demonstration after they found that the issue of TS 1 certificate was affecting the public. The Tax Superintendent registration number 1 (TS 1) was made compulsory by the commissioner of the MC on November 22, saying all the residents were required to clear all the dues before the issuance of the TS 1 certificate.
He said the Congress had decided to oppose the move as it was against the city residents.
200 attend free eye camp
Aagaz Charitable Foundation, an NGO, on Sunday organised a free eye camp in collaboration with Sankara Eye Hospital at Blossoms Convent School at Leelan Megh Singh, Jagraon tehsil.
Over 200 villagers thronged the venue to benefit from the services of 14 eye specialists.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow