Cong workers hit the streets for CBI probe, detained
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Scores of Congress workers were detained in Gandhinagar on Monday when they tried to take out a rally demanding a CBI probe into the death of three dalits, allegedly in police firing, at Thangadh in Surendranagar district last month.
"We have detained 729 people here and police stations falling under Ahmedabad (Rural) have detained close to 300 party workers as they did not have permission to organise the rally," said Gandhinagar SP Sharad Singhal.
State Congress vice-president Girish Parmar said a large number of party workers were detained at the Karai Police Academy in the state capital.
Three persons, including a minor, were killed after police opened fire in air at Thangadh following violent clashes involving dalit and Bharwad community members last month.
Seeking immediate arrest of suspended PSI K P Jadeja and a CBI probe, Parmar said "Currently, the case is being investigated by CID and we don't believe they can do an impartial inquiry. Probe by local police will only exonerate Jadeja who has been booked for murder."
Demanding suspension of Surendranagar SP Raghvendra Vats over his alleged inaction in the case, Parmar said the police officer did not transfer Jadeja and instead harassed dalits. He said "failure" of police to take timely action led to the escalation of violence.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow