Congress alleges model code violation by Modi, ministers
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
The state Congress on Friday lodged a complaint against Chief Minister Narendra Modi, his three Cabinet colleagues and two BJP MPs alleging violation of the model code of conduct by offering to participate in a Navratri event.
A complaint lodged with Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karwal claimed Modi and others violated the code which stipulates that political leaders and ministers should not participate in any Navratri functions as special invitees.
Congress said invitations were being distributed for the Navratri function organised by Ahmedabad Diamond Association in celebration of its silver jubilee stating that Modi and others would attend the function.
"On October 29, the Association is organising Vibrant Garba and as per the invitation card, the chief minister will be present as chief guest and other two BJP MPs, Harin Pathak and Smriti Irani, would be special invitees on that occasion," said the complaint filed by Congress's legal cell.
"This clearly is violation of the election code which prohibits using religious festivals like Navratri for political campaign," it further alleged.
"As part of the same celebrations, the Association has organised another Garba Festival on October 27 and invited BJP national vice-president Purshottam Rupala as the chief guest and Urban Development Minister Nitin Patel and Minister of State for Home Prafull Patel as special invitees," the complaint said.
As per the complaint, scores of invitation cards were being distributed.
The state Congress has demanded that action be initiated against CM and others for violation of the model code of conduct.
Assembly elections in the state are to be held on December 13 and 17.
BJP circulating its mouthpieces: CongThe city Congress on Friday lodged a complaint with district election officials alleging that two BJP mouthpieces, Sadhana and Manogat, were being circulated among the public with one of them carrying an advertisement of Idar Municipality that praised Chief Minister Narendra Modi's efforts in developing the city of Idar.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Mumbai police say they too may seek custody of arrested pacer
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet